Top 5 Wellness Trends of 2016: Our picks
At Riceworks, we’re always watching health and lifestyle trends to see which ones are great (gluten-free) and which ones are just downright stink (extreme diets, body shaming). We’ve studied the trends and we’re sharing our favorite wellness trends to keep you happy and healthy through 2016 and beyond.
- Meatless Mondays: Okay, here’s the deal: you don’t have to become a vegetarian or a vegan to cut out meat one day a week. Meatless Mondays give you the opportunity to try something new while reducing your carbon footprint and you could even save a few dollars each week by going meatless. And not to brag or anything, but we’ve got a pretty tasty meatless bean burger recipe as well as other meatless recipes on our recipes page!
- Slow, deliberate workouts: We’re always in such a hurry. We’re in a hurry to get home, to get dinner on the table, to get the kids bathed and put to bed, just so we can do it all over again the next day. For 2016, try taking things a little slower, especially when it comes to your workouts. Be present and in the moment and clear your mind. Make a workout plan and follow it and trust in your abilities. Which leads us to…
- Meditation and mindfulness: Practicing meditation and mindfulness can have numerous benefits including acceptance, stress relief and living a more satisfied life. Try being more mindful so that you can stay present and aware at all times and acknowledging your thoughts and feelings without judging them. Meditation and mindfulness especially come in handy during your workouts or in the middle of a stressful day.
- Smart consumption: Whether you’re consuming something digitally or consuming something tangible like food or drink, you’re likely to be smarter about it this year. Who has time to read all those articles your friends share on Facebook or to read yet another story about someone who cut X out of their diet and lost 50 pounds? Let’s get real. We’ve been overexposed to fitness celebrities, bikini body diets and now it’s time to take a look at what works best for you. That could mean experimenting with your diet or doing a digital detox. 2016 is all about your deliberate choices, taking control of the things you consume and making positive changes on your own.
- Gluten-free: While we don’t really count a gluten-free lifestyle as a “trend,” many do. While some may incorrectly describe those who have Celiac Disease as being finicky eaters, we understand that going gluten-free is a complete wellness game-changer for many. That’s why we’re adding gluten-free living to our list for 2016. We’re thankful that gluten-free became “trendy” in recent years because it has created awareness for Celiac Disease that makes more gluten-free products much more accessible than they were five years ago. And we’re all about that!
We love these wellness trends above because they contribute to a healthier, more satisfied you. And if that’s what’s trendy, then that’s definitely a trend we can get behind!
Published: Tuesday, February 2, 2016