Layered Zucchini Parmesan
A hearty side dish packed with flavor, this layered zucchini recipe allows the Salsa Fresca flavor of Riceworks to take center stage. Combined with cheese and layered with marinara, this one is sure to please even the pickiest veggie-eaters.
- 3 large zucchini, sliced into 1/3-inch coins
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup Salsa Fresca Riceworks
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 2/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Spray a large baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Remove extra moisture from zucchini coins by blotting with a paper towel.
- In a medium bowl, add zucchini coins and drizzle with olive oil, turning to coat each piece.
- In a separate bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients.
- Dip the zucchini coins one at a time into the dry mixture, turning to coat and pressing the breading slightly to ensure it sticks. Then, in an even layer, place the covered zucchini onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until browned and crisp. Remove from oven.
- Reduce oven temperature to 400°F.
- Coat the bottom of a small baking dish with the marinara sauce and transfer one third of the crisp zucchini coins over to the marinara dish, overlapping them if necessary. Sprinkle zucchini layer with mozzarella. Repeat layers until zucchini runs out, ending with a sprinkling of cheese.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes – until the cheese is melted and the sauce is bubbling. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.