Homestyle Mac and Cheese
Homestyle Mac and Cheese is grown-up comfort food to the max. This recipe will leave your whole family clamoring for more – though you might not want to share with the kids! If you’re up for something a little spicier, try the Sweet Chili Riceworks in place of the Sea Salt for the topping.
- 14 oz whole-wheat macaroni
- 1/4 c + 2 tbsp butter
- 1/4 c + 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk, divided
- 1-1/2 tsps Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2-8oz packages shredded Cheddar cheese, divided (reserving 1 cup)
- 3 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup crushed Sea Salt Riceworks
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Bring a large pot of water to a boil (add a dash of salt). Cook elbow macaroni in the boiling water, stirring occasionally until cooked through but firm to the bite (about 8 minutes). Drain.
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium-low heat. Slowly add flour to butter, whisking constantly; cook until brown (about 5 minutes).
- Pour some milk into the flour mixture, whisking continually until fully incorporated, about 45 seconds; repeat twice. Add remaining milk to the mixture, whisking to incorporate.
- Stir in the Worcestershire sauce, mustard powder, onion powder and cayenne pepper. Reduce heat to low. Cook sauce, whisking frequently, until it begins to thicken (about 10 minutes).
- Add the shredded cheddar cheese a handful at a time, stirring continually until the cheese melts completely. Once cheese is mixed in thoroughly, remove sauce from heat. Stir drained macaroni into the cheese sauce to coat.
- Place macaroni into 9x13 baking pan.
- Mix crushed Riceworks, 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese and Parmesan cheese in a small bowl. Top the macaroni evenly with the mixture
- Bake in preheated oven until the crust is golden brown and the sauce is bubbling, 35 to 45 minutes.
Rate This Product
- Serves: 10
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins